By Laura Marshall and Helen Marshall
In The Principals of a Book Marketing Plan we took you through the three principals behind developing a marketing plan – time vs. quality vs. money, SMART goals, and the 5 Ws. Now that you know the principals behind creating a marketing plan, here are some tips for success.
- Spend 80% of your time and resources doing the things you know you can succeed at and 20% of your time and resources shooting for the top.
- It is often more effective to do several smaller things than one large thing.
- Instead of trying to reach a wide audience, choose a definable and reachable audience segment.
- Develop a hook or overall theme for your marketing efforts.
- Start with your fan base (friends, family, readers) and then expand. Don’t focus solely on new readers.
- Always be friendly, courteous, respectful and attentive. You never know who you are talking to or who is listening.
- Know when to be quiet.